We had an excellent turnout tonight for the Food Project. Information about each contest was given. We also had a mock Quiz Bowl activity, practiced making a cucumber into a garnish and made a no bake Thanksgiving dessert. If your child is interested in joining a team or individually competing, please let us know ASAP. County competition is January 7, 2017. We need to start practicing and preparing.
To view the Power Point Presentation that gives a condensed version of what the Food Project has to offer you can click on the link below.
An email was sent out the following day. We have it attached below so that you may see what to plan for and where the need is for participants.
We had a good turnout at our Smith County 4-H Food & Nutrition Project meeting on Tuesday evening. For those that are interested in the contest, but were not able to join us for the meeting, we want to pass along some of the information discussed.
The Smith County Food Extravaganza is Saturday, January 7, 2017 at the Extension Office in Tyler.
The District Food & Nutrition Extravaganza is Saturday, February 4, 2017, at Stephen F Austin University in Nacogdoches.
There are several individual and team competitions:
- Food Show
- Food Show Display
- Food Challenge team event)
- Nutrition Quiz Bowl (team event)
- Ag ID
- Poster Contest (you don’t have to be present at the contests to enter a poster)
Here is a link to the presentation given last night discussing the different contests.
A PDF version of the presentation is also attached.
We need to be forming the teams for the Nutrition Quiz Bowl and Food Challenge within the next week in order to get them ready for county and district competitions.
– For the food challenge, we still have room for more people on the Junior and Intermediate teams (will probably have at least 2 junior teams), and really need 1-3 more seniors who might like to participate so the seniors can have a team.
– For the Nutrition Quiz Bowl, we need 1-2 more juniors to help make up the 2 teams, and really need at least 1 more intermediate to help make the team (teams can be 3-4 members). Seniors can have a team, but we will need at least 3 interested kids to form it.
Please look over the different contests, and let us know via e-mail (email@example.com) if your child is interested in any of the competitions. We have study guides and information for most of the competitions, and we will be sending more e-mails to those interested soon.